Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

To Lament, But Not Only


Why have our poets died so sad?
For James and Sylvia, for Sonia and Anne,
I mourn your Ohio, your Daddy, your dope,
Your lover’s wife, your ropes, your life;

Discontent to mourn, I’ll write:
When the sun’s up – no, too commonly claimed?
Then when the moon is rising,
Lamping the way of slaves to the north,
To freedom, if sometimes drudgerous, still
A freedom from chains and as real to the wrists,

When it rises, I say,
I’ll gnash my teeth at your demons and raise
Two fists, as I wish
To raise God HimSelf
Against violence that ever
Is done on the mind, poor minds that bleed
out the mouth.

The south,
That old slave runner, that father of lies,
Will not always rise,

But God once did. May this
Be the fist of my writing
And the moon on your wrists.

No comments:

Post a Comment